Monday, October 24, 2011

TAX·I·DER·MY

tax·i·der·my/ˈtaksəˌdərmē/



Noun:
The art of preparing, stuffing, and mounting the skins of animals with lifelike effect.


Taxidermy is fascinating to me. I recall my first encounter as very unimpressed and disgusted, however I've come to love the idea of displaying what was once a wild, living thing and purely admiring it for its beauty. Never before have I seen so many taxidermy animals and species than in Paris. From visits to Museums & Galleries, flea markets, shops and even cafes. I had the opportunity to buy many furry friends and bring them home with me but I highly doubt the Australian Customs Officers would have had the same affection for them as I!


I have to mention one place with a large collection of this stuffed kind on display. Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature (Museum of Hunting and Nature). The interior is lavishly decorated and filled with taxidermy animals of all shapes and sizes. Also on show is ornate weaponry, paintings and other 'curiosities' dating back to the 14th century. It really is an incredible space with amazing Visual Merchandising and Set Design / Interior Design. I highly recommend a visit if you are in Paris.








Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature 62, Rue des Archives, Le Marais 3eme.


No comments:

Post a Comment